PPC “Back To School” Presentation for SEMpdx
On September 9th I gave a talk at SEMpdx’s “Back to School” event. I was asked to review changes in the PPC/SEM world that occurred over the summer. There were some exciting and controversial changes in paid search recently, and my presentation reviewed the following changes in AdWords and Bing.
Links to the changes covered in the deck
- AdWords migrating from PLA to Shopping campaigns
- AdWords introducing Display Select
- AdWords changing close variant match settings
- AdWords Dynamic Site Links
These recent changes were met with mixed feelings from the PPC community. It’s great to see many changes at Bing that incorporate feedback that has been around for years. The most controversial was definitely the match setting changes from Google. PPC managers don’t like it when you take away control.
Additional Resources & References
Here’s also a list of references from my presentation:
- Larry Kim quote: http://searchengineland.com/farewell-pure-exact-match-google-will-soon-force-campaigns-close-variants-enabled-200615
- Matt Umbro study: http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/66088-Demystifying-Google-AdWords-Keyword-Variants
- Larry Kim quote on site links: http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/07/25/dynamic-sitelinks