October 14, 2015 – SEMpdx welcomed special guest Marcus Tober, founder and CTO of Searchmetrics, to speak at this month’s event. Marcus brought a wealth of knowledge on mobile ranking factors as he shared an excellent presentation with helpful insights. Here are a few highlights from the night:
- Look at the full chain of devices to get a clear understanding of how the deck has changed.
- It’s all about user experience. In fact, the acronym, SEO, could also be defined as search experience
- As a whole, millennials are not loyal to anything, which carries big implications for businesses. Regardless of how large your brand is, don’t underestimate how vital user experience is.
- While ranking factors such as backlinks, internal links and interactive elements are much lower on mobile, site speed is extremely important across all devices. According to an Amazon study, for every 0.5 second, a website loses 50% of users.
- Keyword device distribution provides a better understanding of how often a phrase is searched on each device. With these insights into user behavior, you can change site content accordingly. For example, a rental car company might have desktop users searching for coupon offers while mobile users likely need a map and directions.
Throughout his presentation, Marcus emphasized relevancy and user experience. Stay on top of these key factors as they relate to your particular users, and you’ll be well on your way to making effective gains in your mobile – and desktop – rankings.
Sarah is a search marketing consultant, helping clients improve ROI through paid search, SEO and social media initiatives. She is also the Official SEMpdx Event Blogger and can be found at all of the monthly events.